Stefan EDCI338 Blog

WOW AND WONDER 3

Today’s post is based on the article Visitors and Residents: A new typology for online engagement.

Wow:

• The authors likens the different applications of the Internet to tools, places and Spaces. For example, Facebook is like place, it provides a place where people can meet and communicate with each other on the Internet. This theory has never occurred to me before.
  • The authors mentioned a concept of residents and visitors that I had never heard of before. I think the main way to tell whether you are a resident of an app or a visitor is the sense of belonging. For me, I often use Wechat to chat and make friends, and I care very much about whether there are any likes or comments in my Wechat circle of friends. But for Instagram, I just follow the news of some celebrities, I don’t care about its circle of friends.

Wonder:

• The authors mentioned in the article that as long as we visit the Internet, we will leave traces. In today’s society, most of our personal information is on the Internet. I am interested in how to effectively protect my privacy and how to ensure that I will not be “peeped”.

My Visitor-Resident Diagram

Reference:

White, D. S., & Cornu, A. L. (2011). Visitors and Residents: A new typology for online engagement. First Monday.