Stefan EDCI338 Blog

Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism

Today I want to share with you my understanding of behaviorism, cognitivism and constructivism in educating and my understanding of these three doctrines. First of all, I think all three of these doctrines ideas are true, but If applied in education, different teaching methods of doctrine will have different effects.

First, let’s talk about behaviorism. Behaviorism holds that learning requires stimulation and response, and environment is also an important factor in stimulating learning. I think the doctrine is by repeating the same exercises over and over again, the instructor creates a good learning environment in a way that encourages learners to quickly master knowledge or skills. I think the riding a bike in the video is a example of behaviorism. There are some examples of behaviorism in my previous studies. When I was in taekwondo, in order to learn several different kicks, the coach would have about 30 people in the class follow him over and over again until after a few lessons the class had learned how to kick. Under the stimulation of this teaching environment, people can easily develop muscle memory and learn to kick.

Second, cognitivism and behaviorism are two opposite doctrines. Cognitivism is more about learning knowledge and skills through understanding rather than repetitive practice. I think cognitivism is very well suited to the theoretical knowledge of mathematics. After understanding the theory, it does not need much practice to master the knowledge. On the contrary, if you do not understand the theory, it is difficult to master the knowledge with more practice.

Third, constructivism is more applicable to knowledge or skills that need to be practiced in real situations, because these knowledge or skills are difficult to master without simulating them in real life. Constructivism relies most on the learner’s past experience. I think learning to drive a car is the perfect example of constructivism. It is impossible to master driving when you practice driving on no cars road. You can only master driving when you practice on the real road.

Each doctrines has its own advantages. If you can master these doctrines, you can design appropriate learning modes through different occasions in learning design.