Stefan EDCI338 Blog

Topic 3

After reading these three articles, I have a deeper understanding of distributed learning and open learning. Part of the reason distributed and open learning is cheaper than face-to-face teaching can be explained by cheaper textbooks. Open educational resources (OERS) refer to learning resources that can be found on the Internet. The advantages of these learning resources over traditional textbooks are that they are cheap and easy to reuse. Traditional textbooks require cumbersome steps to be recycled after use, and they need to be carefully stored so that they are not damaged. More importantly, these textbooks are often very expensive. For example, many university courses require the purchase of textbooks, if an elective course also requires the purchase of a lot of expensive textbooks, then it will greatly affect students to choose this course. Open learning and distributed learning have lower barriers to entry than face-to-face learning. I think it’s fair for most people because everyone will have the opportunity to acquire the knowledge they need.

Although open educational resources seem fair, the existence of digital redlining makes it more difficult to obtain better educational resources. Digital redlining allows higher-status schools to access and access better learning resources and blocks access that is not granted. I don’t think it’s unfair. I think good resources require a certain amount of ability to use. They may be paying more than others, these resources are more suitable for them.

Open and distributed learning is obviously good. They also provide learning opportunities for Australian aborigines. Face-to-face learning may be more difficult for aboriginal people because of aboriginal group perceptions and tribal positional relationships. Through learning, indigenous people can learn new knowledge and learn more about their own culture. If there are more intellectuals in indigenous groups, the quality of life of indigenous people will be greatly improved.

So were the natives intercepted by the digital redlining? I think there is, but it’s not unfair. Indigenous peoples are already exposed to enough knowledge that they need, and if they need more knowledge, they can get it by building their own capabilities.

Reference:

Mays, E. (Ed.). (2017). A guide to making open textbooks with students. Rebus Community.

Gilliard, C., & Culik, H. (2016, May 24). Digital Redlining, Access, and Privacy. Common Sense Education.

Kral, I. & Schwab, R.G. (2012). Chapter 4: Design Principles for Indigenous Learning Spaces. Safe Learning Spaces. Youth, Literacy and New Media in Remote Indigenous Australia. ANU Press. http://doi.org/10.22459/LS.08.2012