Stefan EDCI338 Blog

topic 1

After reading these articles, I have a new understanding of online learning. Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, most school learning has been forced to move online. It was also during this period that I really began to understand what online classes were. I have also encountered online courses before. I only read articles, watch videos and write quizzes online, but I still have to go to school to take the exam. But now all the courses, including exams, are conducted online, which makes me feel a different experience. Personally, I think face-to-face teaching and online teaching have their own advantages. I myself feel quite engaged in learning in face-to-face education, but sometimes I can’t concentrate on online education. The advantage of online learning is that the time is quite flexible. If I feel tired, I can take a rest and then study, but face-to-face teaching is not possible. After the outbreak is over, school lessons will still be held in the classroom. In my opinion, school courses can combine the advantages of online courses and set up some items to get scores on the Internet.

In Vaughan’s article, he analyzed the benefits of blended learning. I think blended learning is the future direction of teaching development. Online teaching does have some advantages that face-to-face teaching does not, so putting some of the learning parts of face-to-face teaching online makes it more effective. For example, face-to-face teaching can put some pre-class preview and after-class reviews on the Internet, so that more knowledge can be taught in face-to-face teaching.

As I read these articles, this was the first time I had heard the term cyber security in online teaching. Students’ work is their own intellectual property, their consent must be obtained before it can be made public. Students also need to pay attention to the security of their passwords, as this is just as important as their student id cards. I think it’s important to train learners and educators on cybersecurity and network rules before we start online education.

Regan, P., & Jesse, J. (2019). Ethical challenges of edtech, big data and personalized learning: Twenty-first century student sorting and tracking. Ethics and Information Technology, 21(3), 167-179. DOI: 10.1007/s10676-018-9492-2

Morris, S. M., & Stommel, J. (2018). An urgency of teachers: The work of critical digital pedagogy. Hybrid Pedagogy.

Vaughan, N. D., Garrison, D. R., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2013). Teaching in blended learning environments: Creating and sustaining communities of inquiry. AU Press.